The answer is simple- treecycle it! Treecycling is the simple act of re-purposing your Christmas tree instead of throwing it away. (And, before all the needles fall into oblivion on your living room rug!)
Why buy REAL?
There is an ongoing debate as to which is better for the environment, real or fake. And instead of discussing, I propose these facts from Earth 911 for you to make your own judgement:
- There are approximately 25-30 million real Christmas trees sold in the U.S. every year.
- 85% of artificial trees are manufactured in China.
- For every real Christmas tree harvested, up to three seedlings are planted in its place the following Spring.
- There are about 350,000 acres in production for growing Christmas trees. Each acre provides the daily oxygen requirements of 18 people.
- It can take 15 years to grow a tree of average retail sale height (6 ft), but the average growing time is 7 years.
- The top Christmas tree production states are Oregon, North Carolina, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Washington.
Recycled trees are most commonly used for mulch, erosion protection, habitat creation and shoreline stabilization. However, the possibilities don’t end there. Every year communities across the country are finding new ways to use treecycling, from energy production to wildlife habitats. Check out Seasonal Wisdom's multitude of creative ways to recycle your tree!