Especially exciting is the story on Winter Containers on pg 80. Experts from the Association of Professional Landscape Designers and Garden Media offer tips on creating a lasting and stunning winter container mix. The secret: It's all about the right plants in the right pots in the right spots!
Tips for Picking the Right Plants:
- Chose plants that are hardy to at least two zones colder than your USDA Zone
- Combine conifers, evergreens and grasses for a lasting look
|Photos by The Personal Garden Coach, Christina Salwitz|
- The larger the better
- Pick a non-porous material such as fiberglass, metal or stone
- Make sure you have drainage holes
- Pick a sunny, wind free spot
- The north facing side of your home is an ideal location
Pick up the latest issue of Horticulture to read more, and if you have a beautiful winter container photo to share- post it to our facebook page!
Thanks to Christina Salwitz for her beautiful winter container photos.