Mark suggests the following when you are starting to compost...
- Check with local authorities for special laws or ordinances against composting…start by calling your county extension agent.
- Choose a compost bin…build your own or purchase a prefabricated compost bin.
- Decide where to put your compost bin…look for a shady spot, not full sun.
- Prevent excess moisture accumulation from rain…cover or keep lid on bin
- Protect the bin from rodents…purchase ½ mesh hardware cloth, place on ground, fold up sides of hardware cloth an inch or two past the outside edge of the bin, cover edge with soil, pack down soil with foot.
What makes up compost ingredients?
- Starting ingredients are “greens” and “browns”
- Greens = Nitrogen; Browns = Carbon
- Compostables...Greens = grass clippings, kitchen waste, coffee grounds, tea bags; Browns = leaves, shredded newspaper, stale bread, straw.
- Non-compostables…no meat, bones, dairy, oils, dressings, salt, pet waste, diseased plants, dead animals, sand, pressure-treated lumber, or trashStore kitchen scraps in the freezer to reduce kitchen odors.
Thanks Mark for the great ideas!